Lithium batteries are handy across a range of applications. Perhaps you have an RV you want to power, or are planning on going off-grid with some solar power. Whatever your situation, Lithium Ion is a new type of battery that is causing a stir in the market. Lithium Ion 12V Deep Cycle batteries are becoming increasingly common for powering lights, appliances, and other items.
It’s worth noting Lithium Ion is not a new technology. However, until recently it has been too expensive to be a useful solution for most people. That is changing as the tech moves more into the mainstream and becomes more affordable. Thanks to falling prices and wider availability, Lithium Ion batteries are now an attractive option for consumers.
Still, Lithium Ion batteries remain more expensive than regular power solutions. If you’re interested in buying a Lithium Ion 12V Deep Cycle power, you’re probably asking whether that expense is worth it and what are the best products available?
Below we will answer those questions with our look at the best Lithium Ion 12V Deep Cycle batteries and why this type of power is becoming popular.
Benefits of Lithium Ion
- Lightweight – A 12V lithium Ion deep cycle battery is much lighter than a traditional lead-acid alternative. In fact, the average weight is 26lbs compared to 60lbs.
- More energy dense – Some people may care less about this aspect, but if you’re looking for an energy dense battery, Lithium Ion is the answer with a Specific Energy of around 150 Wh/kg. A normal AGM battery would have only around 40Wh/kg.
- Handles Low Discharge Better – One of the biggest problems with a regular deep cycle battery is you should never allow it to discharge below 50%. Doing so will reduce the number of charge cycles the battery can handle during its lifetime. That means you must regularly charge a traditional SLA 12V battery. With a 12V Lithium Ion deep cycle battery, this discharge limit is down at 20%, giving you much more time until you must recharge.
- Last longer – In terms of lifetime capability, Lithium Ion is much longer lasting than traditional solutions. In fact, you will get thousands of charging cycles out of a Lithium battery compared to less than 500 charges from a normal AGM.
- Faster to charge – This is another area where you will be getting significant improvement over a normal battery. Lithium Ion batteries offer much faster charging times, usually up to four times more than a lead-acid alternative.
Best 12V Lithium Ion Deep Cycle Batteries
BattleHorn 12V Lithium IonCheck Price on Amazon
Not only is the Battle Born a long-lasting Lithium Ion, but this battery also actively wants to help you get the most life as possible from it. It features a battery management system (BMS) that will guide you through getting up to 5,000 charge cycles. With a 100amp continuous output and 200amp for 30 second bursts, this is ideal for intensive appliances, such as a drill or microwave.
Billed as a “green energy” product, the Battle Horn was built in the United States with environmentally friendly methods. The company clearly believes this battery delivers the goods and is willing to back it with a massive 10-year warranty. That’s about four times the guarantee you would get from a lead-acid battery.
This is a stellar Lithium Ion deep cycle battery, but it is admittedly also very expensive. That’s a compromise for excellent performance, environmentally conscious construction, and massive lifetime promise.
Ionic Deep CycleCheck Price on Amazon
Another 12V Lithium Ion Deep Cycle with an on board battery management system (BMS) is the Ionic Deep Cycle. This battery is easily identifiable by its deep blue color. It’s more than just a pretty face, though. It actively monitors operational performance during a charge cycle and discharges. All monitoring can be done form your smartphone thanks to Bluetooth connectivity.
A built-in microprocessor checks internal temperatures, currents, and voltage to deliver information on maximizing the life of the battery. It also has a 99% Depth of Discharge (DOD), allowing more energy efficiency throughout its life. Elsewhere, the Ionic uses cell balancing to provide protection against over/under voltage surges and short-circuits.
This battery also works with an unlimited number of other batteries (same model/brand) side-by-side. In terms of life cycles, you’re looking at between 3,000 and 5,000 discharge/recharges, with around 4,000 probably what you will get.
Ionic’s battery is excellent in a broad set of situations because it is one of the best temperature resistant Lithium Ions. In fact, it functions across temperatures between –5°C to 35°C (23°F to 95°F). It will charge across -20°C to 45°C (-4°F to 113°F).
EEMB Deep Cycle 12VCheck Price on Amazon
While the EEMB Deep Cycle does not quite match the previous recommendations, it is an excellent cost-effective solution for smaller appliances or scenarios. You’re not going to get thousands of recharge cycles, but remember this battery costs a fraction of the Ionic and BattleHorn. It’s also worth remembering the 800 cycles on this battery is still significantly more than a regular lead-acid alternative.
EEMB’s product also boasts good protection to ensure the battery lasts. It has a low self-discharge rate and prevent short circuit, over charge, over current, and overheating. It also has an anti-leak cover making it a safe option in rugged situations.
If you want to run multiple appliances or something like a solar grid, this won’t do the job. However, for smaller needs like running a power tool or upkeeping lights on an RV, this battery is a good option.
Lithium Ion batteries are the future. Now that these batteries are becoming more affordable, they are an excellent alternative to lead-acid batteries. Our recommendations above provide you with the best examples of this new technology. We hope you like those recommendations and our in-depth look at Lithium Ion batteries. If you have any questions, drop us a comment below!