Smart devices are becoming more popular in our homes every day. There are so many smart devices and manufacturers on the market, too. Creating a smart home hub can make things around the house easier—from controlling lights, blinds, the smart refrigerator and more! It’s now possible to do all of this from a smart hug, rather than from separate apps on your mobile phone.
Smart hubs also make it possible to create new “recipes” on how your devices work with one another. So, it’s easy to create a smart home that works for you, according to your own preferences and routine. Think about not having to remember to lock your doors, turn out the lights and more after you’ve already gone to bed. With a smart hug, you can do it from the comfort of your bed or set your smart hub to take care of these things automatically.
When you start to shop for a smart home hub, you’ll find there are several to choose from. However, in this article we’re going to focus on SmartThings and the Wink Hub 2.
What is a Smart Hub?
A smart hub is a base that acts as the control of your home’s automation of smart devices. It connects all of these devices together. This device connects to your home’s WiFi and makes it easy for you to control all the smart devices through the hub via your mobile device. Remember going to bed and forgetting to turn off the lights? This is a task that you can automate through the smart hub.
You might think of the smart hub as your home’s brain, which connects all the smart devices in your home. It’s that simple. You run your entire home through the smart hub. Wouldn’t that be great? Then instead of using individual apps, you could just have everything automated through the app. You might be able to get rid of some of those apps, and free up space on your mobile phone!
Smart hubs can work with Bluetooth and WiFi devices, making it convenient and easy to set it all up. You can have everything completely automated and controlled by the smart hub.
Now, let’s take a look at the SmartThings and Wink2 smart hubs!
SmartThings vs Wink2—Which One Should You Choose?
It’s difficult to choose between these two platforms. So, how do you know which one is best for you—the Wink2 or SmartThings platform?
Let’s begin with the similarities of these two smart hubs.
1). Apps: both the SmartThings and the Wink2 use apps that are available on Windows, iOS, and Android.
2). Connectivity: both devices connect over WiFi, directly to the router via ethernet, and Bluetooth.
3). Power: both the Wink2 and the SmartThings hubs work via AC power. One difference here is that the SmartThings hub also features a USB port.
4). Integration: both platforms use IFTTT, ZibBee, and Z-Wave integration.
5). Voice commands: both devices respond to voice commands, and they support both Google Home and Alexa.
6). Device compatibility: both devices are compatible with a wide range of smart devices.
Now, let’s take a look at each smart hub and the specific features on each one.
- Price: The Wink2 can control all the smart devices you have, and this does not come with a subscription fee, thankfully. The price of the hub generally runs about $99.
- Device size: the Wink2 hub measures 7.25×7.25×1.25 inches, which makes it a little larger than the SmartThings hub. Even so, it’s still easy to pick up and move. Plus, you can set it up without a technician.
- Features & specs: the Wink2 comes with an app that is compatible with Windows, iOS and Android, and it lets you monitor and control all the smart devices in your home. The app also sends you alerts. The Wink2 can be connected to your doorbell, so you can see who’s at the door before answering. It’s even possible to unlock your door remotely from anywhere, as long as you have Internet access. Another great feature is that you can train Wink2 to run your lights according to a specific routine you create. That means you can teach the hub to turn the lights off in the morning, and on in the evening.
- In addition, the Wink2 works with both Alexa and Google Home via voice commands. This means that you can train your device to turn off the lights when you say a specific term, such as “Good night.”
- Power: the Wink2 has a power port which connects to an AC power source. This hub doesn’t have a backup battery. If the power goes out, the smart hub will go offline.
- Connectivity: this smart hub can connect via Bluetooth, or via WiFi on frequencies 2.4GHz or 5HGz.
- Compatibility: this device works with Kidde, Z-Wave, Zig-Bee, and Clear Connect.
- Price: this smart hub comes in at about $89.99 and does not need a monthly subscription to work. This device is easy to install and use—you’ll find the instructions easy to follow.
- Device size: the SmartThings hub measures 4.9×4.2×1.3 inches, which means this device is easy to move, as well as install. It only weighs 0.5lb!
- Features & specs: the SmarThings hub comes with an app that is compatible with Windows, iOS and Android. All you have to do is download the app and create a free account. That’s it! Then you can have fun setting up all your smart devices and their routines! This smart hub works with a wide range of smart devices including thermostats, speakers, lights, and more. It’s even possible to connect cameras and doorbells, and then receive notifications when someone’s at your door. You’ll receive the notifications anywhere you have Internet. This means when you’re away from home shopping, at work, and more. The SmartThings device even has the ability to detect motion, so you’ll be notified of any movements in your home.
- Power: the device connects to an AC power source and it includes replaceable batteries. This means that if the power goes out, your device will still be running for about 2 hours. There’s also a multipurpose button that allows you to turn off or on several devices at once, such as when heading to bed.
- Connectivity: the SmartThings hub has the ability to connect via Bluetooth, WiFi and ethernet (via cable directly to your router). When the device is connected to WiFi, it will send you notifications on activities wherever you are—at home or away. What’s more, you’ll have control of the smart hub and connected devices even when you’re away from home.
- Compatibility: SmartThings supports connections with Bluetooth, Zig-Bee, Z-Wave and more. It also works with Hue, Nest, and IFTTT.
What are the Main Differences Between SmartThings and Wink2?
For one thing, Wink2 will not work if the power goes out. However, SmartThings will stay connected for some time after the power goes out.
Then the Wink2 can connect with up to 540 devices, while SmartThings has the ability to connect to an unlimited number of devices.
Otherwise, the main differences are the price and the ability to work with other services. This is where SmartThings has some advantages over the Wink2.
Ultimately, both smart hubs are excellent; however, if you’d like to save a little money, have a large number of devices to connect, and would like to work with other services, then the SmartThings smart hub would be the best option for you.